Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Seed Starting Light Stand

I found the plans to built a lightstand for seed starting at Localgardener.net.

And then I also found this one at Mother Earth News.

And the result is a combination of the two.


It is HUGE! But fits nicely along a side wall in basement. It's 66" tall, and about 53" wide. The shelves are 20" apart. I used a 1x11 laminated board on special at Rona. Stephen cut them to length for me (thanks!). I stained the boards and topped that with an indoor/outdoor clear sealing paint. Two of lights came from Home Depot, one came from our garage, and I bought a new one for the garage.


It cost a little over $200 to build, but these cost nearly $600 to buy. I used Airmiles and Petropoints and got $150 of gift certificates to Rona and Home Depot, so it didn't cost much overall.


The lights hang on chains, so they can be adjusted depending on the size of the plants. I'll be able to start 6 trays of seeds on it. Last year I started 2 trays under 1 light!

No comments:

Post a Comment