Friday, December 30, 2011

Storm Mountain: Marmot Mitts 502

This is a two-part mitten. The inside is polar fleece with a cuff. The outside should be made of a waterproof/windproof fabric such as Commander, Goretex, etc.

I made size adult medium. I found the width to be way too wide, so in the pair below, I narrowed the pattern by 1/2" on each side, and then cut the outer mitt from the inner mitt pattern. I find that the outer mitt is too short, so you may want to add 1" to the cuff.

On the outer mitt, I added a reflective strip the the back and used fold over elastic instead of making a casing for elastic. I made these mittens for winter running!

This is my first try at the mittens. I had to narrow the inner mitt because it was so wide. I don't remember if I narrowed the outer mitt. I use these mitts for outdoor horse chores, which is why they have hay on the cuff! I do find them too wide, and the outer mitt too short. My hands would be warmer if they weren't so wide.


The pattern package. I bought it at a thrift store for dirt cheap. :)
It's a great pattern, after some adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment