Saturday, October 24, 2009

Wool coat face lift

I bought this wool coat from a garage sale for $1. The seller told me she had bought it in Finland/Sweden/one of those little European countries (I can't remember which). I love the style and fit of the coat, plus, as an amazing bonus (besides it's price!), is that the sleeves are actually long enough on me. (And it has all it's buttons, I was too lazy to do them all up for the picture).

Then, my mom commented that it looked good on me, and that my brother has a coat just like it. UGHHH!



I wanted to make the coat NOT look like something my brother would wear, so I went hunting at fabric stores. It took a while, but I eventually found this pink & grey flower trim.


It certainly dresses up the coat, doesn't it!

Close up of the trim - it's kind of hairy, which gives it a soft look, and goes well with the texture of the wool coat.


I have many metres left of this trim, and I'd like to put more on the coat, but I'm not sure where to put it.

A "bracelet" around the sleeves?
Along the bottom hem?
Down the front, as fake princess seams?
Down the edge of the front, but that would be asymmetric?
Along the pockets?
A shape on the back of the coat - like a star, flower, something like that?
Or leave it as good enough?

Please, if you have an idea, post a comment.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the trim detail! I'm not very good with embellishment, but I think maybe down the front OR trimming the sleeve hems. Not both though. A little goes a long way. My first preference would be the asymetric, down-the-front addition. Simply because adding any detail at the hipline with the sleeve hem detail might add body "width"? So I'd go for a vertical as opposed to the horizontal, but it really depends on one's body type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been wearing it the way it is now, but everytime I put it on, it feels unfinished. I'll probably go with trim down both front edges - even though the inside edge is hidden when you wear it.

    ReplyDelete